Me with my family!

Me with my family!

Monday, October 17, 2011

Homemade Chicken Pie with Biscuits

I wish I could take credit for this recipe, but my wonderful sister-in-law Chenoa shared this one with me too. She gave this recipe to me almost a year ago and I am just now trying it. It was really good and it will be a keeper around here!

There are two parts to this recipe: the chicken pie and the biscuits...also known as the crust/topping.
I'll start with the ingredients and the directions for both will follow.

Chicken Pie Ingredients:
*3 Tbs Margarine
*1 stalk celery
*2 carrots, peeled and diced
*1 small onion (I only used about 1/4 onion because I'm not a huge onion person)
*1/4 cup flour
*1/2 tsp salt
*1 cup milk
*1 cup chicken bouillon
*1 can cream of mushroom soup
*2-4 cups cooked chicken, cubed (I used a rotisserie chicken)

Biscuit  Ingredients:
*1 1/2 cups flour
*3/4 tsp baking powder
*1 tsp salt
*3 Tbs margarine
*1/2 milk
*2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Directions for Chicken Pie:
1) In a skillet, melt butter. Saute celery, carrots, and onion until soft.

2) Stir in flour and salt. Slowly add milk and bouillon stirring constantly until sauce thickens.

3) Stir in soup and chicken.

4) Spoon into a 9x13 pan and set aside. Make biscuits.

Biscuit Directions:
1) Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter. Add milk to form a soft dough.

2) Roll out into a 12x10 rectangle. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and roll up starting with the long side.

3) Slice into 1/2 inch slices. (My picture only shows it rolled up...sorry!)

4) Place on top of chicken mixture.

5) Bake at 350* for 35-40 minutes.

I was a little worried that there was more biscuits in this than the chicken pie, but once we cut up the biscuit part it was perfect. We almost ate the whole thing. I would estimate that 4 people could eat from this recipe...if they eat like we do. :)
If you make this, please let me know how yours turns out and what your family thinks of it!

Thanks again, Chenoa! I'm always open for new recipes!

2 comments:

  1. I have never seen the cheese rolled up like that in the roll. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete