Me with my family!

Me with my family!

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Clean Eating Sesame Mango Chicken with Whole Grain Rice

Since I have been trying out clean recipes and learning how to cook in a whole new way, I am venturing out and challenging myself. I am making things with ingredients that I normally wouldn't eat, like tomatoes, mangoes and limes. :) 

I found this recipe on http://recipes.sparkpeople.com.
There are 2 parts to this recipe: rice and sesame mango chicken.
I LOVED this but my family was less than impressed...maybe it's because I'm used to eating clean now and they only try out a few meals here and there. I'm sure that makes a difference!

Anyway, here is the recipe!
Ingredients:
Rice -
*2 1/2 cups Water
*2 Tsp Salsa
(I would recommend adding more than 2 Tsp of Salsa! I used a clean salsa I bought at Trader Joe's.)
*1 cup brown whole grain rice

Chicken -
*2 tbsp Sesame Seeds
*1 tsp Olive Oil (I used Extra Virgin)
*1 Lb Boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
*4 Cloves of Garlic, minced
*1/4 tsp Ginger
*1/4 tsp fresh ground Black Pepper
*1 Mango
*3 Medium on-the-vine Tomatoes
*Juice from half a Lime

Directions:
1) Prepare rice according to package directions, adding salsa and water at the same time.
(Note: I made more than 1 cup of rice because I like leftovers but 4 Tsp of salsa wasn't enough...my rice was a little bland. It was easy to add more salsa to the leftovers before warming up, but if you're making more rice, add a lot more salsa now.)

2) Toast sesame seeds over low heat for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Move to a plate and allow to cool.

3) Pour olive oil in pan, swirl and add chicken. Sprinkle with garlic, ginger, and black pepper.
Increase heat to medium and cook about 4 minutes on each side, stir occasionally.

4) Add diced mango to pan, spooning evenly over chicken. Saute mango for about 2 minutes stirring occasionally.

5) Add tomatoes and squeeze lime juice over top. Simmer for about 5 minutes, until tomato is hot and mango is juicy.

6) Stir in sesame seeds and serve over rice.

Nutritional Information:
Number of servings - 4
 Calories - 171.5
Fat - 4.5g
Carbohydrates - 27.6
Protein - 7.4

Enjoy! Let me know your thoughts on this if you try it out on your family!

1 comment:

  1. Post more clean recipes and pics! Adam and I are trying this and it was HIS idea!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete